We’ve found the best way to beat the winter blues is to try to get out and make the most out of it.
Ottawa was built for winters. One of our favourite things to do in the winter months is to hit up the Rideau Canal. It transforms into a 7.8km long Skateway during the winter months – it’s the World’s Largest Skating Rink. And, not to mention it is blessed with multiple BeaverTail vendors along the way.
Although we didn’t have time to skate, we decided to make the most of the chilly weather and take a walk on the Skateway (yes, we are THOSE people…).
Kay is Wearing: Coat – H&M / Vest + Belt – Winners / Dress – Forever 21 / Boots – George / Sunnies – ALDO
Lacey is Wearing: Coat – Vintage/ Vest – Winners / Jumpsuit + Ring – Forever 21 / Boots – Ariat / Sunnies – LensCrafters
What do you do to beat the winter blues?
-Country meet City
Nautical fashion has been big this summer, but it has been one of those trends that has defied time and continue to stay relevant.
Nautical fashion has come a long way since the 1920s. It doesn’t just mean sticking with stripes, blue and white. There is an array of different styles and trends you can play with while trying to look like a sailor.
Here are our top six Nautical style pics:
- Play it Short – add in a short skirt or a pair of high-waisted shorts to your look. It can add a nice retro flair to your look. If either look has gold embellished buttons – even better!!
- A Pop of Colour – add in some colour to your outfit. Nautical doesn’t mean you have to follow the blue and white rule. Add in some red, mustard or turquoise to your look to give it an update.
- Crop it – crop tops and cropped jeans are a big summer must this season, so why not incorporate it into your sailor’s outfit? Find a cute crop top with stripes or a cute saying like “Ahoy”. It will definitely freshen your look up.
- Life’s a Beach – love the warm sun and the beautiful music of waves? Head to the beach and play up your beach wear with a high-waisted bikini – a bold red or blue and white stripped look will really make a statement!
- Accessorize – adding accessories to your look is a fun way to bring out nautical style. Try an anchor necklace, rope handled bag or captains hat!
- Polka Dots – hate stripes, but love nautical fashion? Try a blue and white (or red and white) combo to bring out your best nautical style. Try extenuating your look with gold accessories.
Check out our nautical style:
- Cardigan – WINNERS
- Dress – Forever 21
- Belt – Joe Fresh
- (Titanic) Necklace – Gift – Peoples Jewellers
- Flats – Old Navy
- Dress – Anne Taylor
- Sweater & Socks – Forever 21
- Heels & Necklace – Vintage
- Watch – Fossil
-Country meet City
One of our favourite local Winter activities is skating the Rideau Canal.
The Rideau Canal Skateway plans were implemented on January 18, 1971, and some 50,000 people skated on the canal on the first weekend. Now people come from all over the world to skate on the Canal.
Living and working so close to the Canal is a big treat for us. It’s a ‘must add’ to your Winter agenda. We can’t count how many times we have visited the world’s largest skating rink and strapped on a pair skates and visited the fabulous Flapjack’s Pancake Shack.
Our favourite “quick” route is a 2 kilometer round trip skate starting at the National Arts Centre ending at Concord. We can’t help but indulge in a hot chocolate and pancake battered bacon every time we arrive at Concord from Flapjack’s.
There are five rest areas along the Skateway. They offer various services and amenities, including change rooms, washrooms, fire pits, food and beverage vendors, and picnic tables. There are also different food and drink vendors located at each rest stop. Check out the NCC’s website for more details.
Why visit the Canal?
- The Canal has more than 7 kilometers of ice to enjoy!
- If you don’t have your own skates you can rent!
- You can also rent a red sled and glide along the frozen canal if you have little ones or pets or can’t skate!
- Winterlude is coming, and the Canal is the one of the main features.
- Skate to work! It beats traffic and the bus.
- The Canal is flooded nightly, therefore every morning is smooth and ready to use!
- Beavertails, Pancakes and Hot Chocolate – need we say more?
What will you be doing this Winter in your City? Not sure what’s going on? Check out Eventbrite to find out local events in your area this Winter. You can also use Eventbrite’s Event Management site to help you plan + manage your own activities.
-Country meet City